Tuesday, March 28, 2006

In response to Professor Amidon's blog

In response to Professor Amidon’s blog I don’t have any suggestions for a book. However, I do have opinions reguarding the class. Reading about different methods to research is one thing, it’s another to apply those methods. In my opinion, the actual application of these methods is more important than reading about them. In our class we did a little of that with quantitative and qualitative research, coding, and the free write exercise. In my opinion we only scratched the surface with these. The way I see a research development class is taking every research type and having to do them on a larger scale. Instead of assignments do them in projects either individual or group. The book would be used more of a reference and/or background material. The idea of a major individual project for the end of the semester is great, but adding this experience of applying the different research methods through the semester would benefit the students in a whole new way. The final project would be considered a stepping stone toward applying these methods in the real world instead of trying to choose which type of research method to use and then trying to do it for the first time, if never done before, on the final project. Anyway, this is what I thought about the professor’s request.

1 comment:

Stevens Amidon said...

Great advice here. I really do need to put more of the hands-on activity into the course.

I also admired your Pearl Jam comment. My son was sharing a lot of Pearl Jam's work as we drove back from Chicago. It's really interesting to see how the band has grown since the days of "Jeremy."