Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Data Coding

The assignment on coding was an interesting approach to research. I liked the empirical aspect of dividing information into categories. What intrigued me the most was the potential for coding to be best used in qualitative research. Someone mentioned in the discussion how this type of method would help eliminate things “falling through the cracks”, and I could agree more. The previous assignment where we had to analyze a qualitative paper left me with the opinion that qualitative research has more room for error than quantitative research. At least the research paper I analyzed appeared that way. Applying the method we worked on would help organize the qualitative research in a more efficient and effective way. As a result the validity and reliability of the research would increase. If I do any qualitative research I definitely plan to use the data coding research method.

No comments: