Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Quantitative vs. Qualitative

Comparing the two exercises I have found quantitative research to be easier to follow and understand. This could be from my background in psychological research, but even in doing that some of the research was qualitative. This brings up some interesting questions about these two types of research for me. My qualitative research assignment was in the field of language and teaching practices. I found it extremely difficult to follow and understand what the researchers were studying. This made me think about the writing involved in the actual paper itself. I thought about different feilds writing in different ways. I'm sure this concept isn't new, in fact, that is evident in writing between different types of creative writing. What I have found is that the style of writing may not always be the right type when reporting qualitative or quantitative research. I feel that if quantitative or qualitative research is being reported, a more scientific or technical type of writing style should be followed in research papers. It organizes information in a much clearer and more concrete way. Anyway, I thought I would share.

No comments: